Professional Athletes and Coaches

This applies to individuals who are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States except for the Consulate General in New York and the consulates within its consular district (Boston, Jamestown and Philadelphia).

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application for Swedish work permit (form #149011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Contract signed by both parties. (The employer or club must guarantee a minimum salary of 13,000 SEK per month before tax and arrange accommodation).

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.


How much does it cost?

Application fee can be found under Service Fees.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007

to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Who decides my case?

The Embassy of Sweden sends your application to the Migration Board in Sweden, which makes a decision after consulting with the Swedish Sports Federation.

How long will I have to wait for a decision?

To be sure of obtaining your permit in time, you should present your application at least 6-8 weeks prior to your departure for Sweden.

How long is a permit valid?

Work permits are granted for a maximum of one year at a time, or for the period of your contract if it is less than one year. Should your contract with your employer or club be renewed, you will have to reapply for a permit. As long as you have a valid contract, your permit can be extended for one year at a time up to four years. Only in exceptional cases are permits granted for longer than a total duration of four years in Sweden. Your permit is only valid for work in the club that has offered you employment and only for the branch of sport specified in your invitation.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e. spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application. Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.