Performing Artists

This applies to artists wishing to perform in Sweden. The performing artist category includes singers, musicians, dancers, circus artists and fairground workers, etc. Those accompanying the artist as technicians, road managers, etc, also fall under this category and must therefore have permits as well.

Performing artists who have been contracted for a temporary radio or TV engagement by the Swedish Broadcasting Corporation, the Swedish Television Company, the Swedish Educational Broadcasting Company or the Nordic Television Company are exempt from the work permit requirement for a period of one month.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States except for the Consulate General in New York and the consulates within its consular district (Boston, Jamestown and Philadelphia).

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden. Those requiring entry visas must also have arranged these before coming to Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application for Swedish work permit (form #149011), completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Form PF AMS 101707 (supplied by the employer).

  • Contract with engagement organizer in Sweden, signed by both parties. (Your employer must guarantee you a salary or wage of at least 13,000 SEK per month before tax).

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

How much does it cost?

Application fee can be found under Service Fees

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007

OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Who decides my case?

The Embassy sends your application to the Migration Board in Sweden, which makes the decision. In some cases, the Board does not reach a decision until it has consulted with the specialist employment office for cultural workers (Kulturarbetsförmedlingen) in Sweden.

How long will I have to wait for a decision?

To be sure of obtaining your permit in time, you should submit your application at least 6-8 weeks prior to your departure for Sweden. 

How long is a permit valid?

You will be granted a permit for the duration of your engagement.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e. spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application. Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.