Voting in Swedish Elections

The Right to Vote and the Electoral Register

Swedes living abroad remain in the electoral register, and thereby maintain their right to vote, for ten years after their emigration is officially recorded in the national register.
After 10 years, a written notification must be submitted to the Swedish National Tax Board (Skatteverket) to retain the right to vote for an additional ten year period. See link to the form on the right. 

The completed notification form must be received by the National Tax Board at least 30 days before the election date.  The form must be mailed to the National Tax Board at the following address:

Skatteverkets inläsningscentral
FE 2001
205 76 Malmö

If the notification has not been received 30 days before the election date, Swedes abroad who are not in the electoral register may still have the opportunity to vote.  A vote received from abroad by mail or by a Swedish foreign mission will still be counted, if it has reached the Election Authority by 12:00 pm on the day before the election.

> More information is available at the Swedish Election Authority website.