Required documents

  • Pass15

    Passport Photo: Photo: Lars Hedelin, Copyright RIKSPOLISSTYRELSEN

If your visa application is to be considered, you must have the documents listed below. A number of other documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning. Family members of EU/EEA nationals (Swedish nationals are typically, in this context, not considered to be EU/EEA nationals) need to submit particular documents. Information about required documents will be given via e-mail when you schedule your appointment time to submit the application at the Embassy.

Check which additional documents you need in the menu on the left, under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.

The documents you want to support your statements with, are to be handed in as copies, and you should bring the original for comparison.

You must have:

  • A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document.
    This must:
    - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area
    - contain at least two empty pages
    - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • One passport size photo with a light background, taken straight from the front and not older than six months.
  • Application fee, unless exempted. Deposit slip found in the right column.

If you do not submit the documents above, the application will not be taken up for assessment.

  • Individual medical insurance covering the intended period of stay in the Schengen area with an all-risk medical travel insurance policy for a minimum coverage of 30.000 EUR (or equivalent in local currency) for emergency medical and repatriation expenses. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’
  • Enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a statement of account from your bank. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. 
  • Enough money for the return journey, or a return ticket.
  • Documents that are specifically associated with the type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on the left.

If you are under 18 or are accompanied by children each of the co-applicants  needs to fill a separate Application for Schengen Visa. Please note: for minor applicants at least one parent or legal custodian/guardian must visit the embassy with the applicant in person.

Fee for visa application

Adults: 680 kwacha

Children aged 6 - 12: 400 kwacha

The application fee is tied to the euro and is revised every quarter or in the event of any major shift in the exchange rate. 

Please note: if the applicant is married to a EU national other rules may apply. Please contact us on for more information.