Visa to Sweden

If you want to visit Sweden and are a citizen of a country outside the EU, you may need a visa.

Please note that Somali and Somaliland passports are not recognised by Sweden

Holders of the following British Passports/Travel Documents DO NOT need a visa

  • British 'European Community' passport
  • British ' Isle of Man', 'Jersey' and 'Guernsey and its dependencies' passport. 
  • British Subject passport.
  • British Overseas Territories citizen  (BOTC) passport.
  • British National Overseas (BNO) passport
  • British Overseas Citizens (BOC) passport
  • British Protected Persons (BPP) passport
  • Travel Documents according with the Convention of July 28, 1951 (blue cover) or the Convention of September 28, 1954 (red cover)
Holders of British Certificate of Travel (Black cover) NEED a visa. (granted only on humanitarian grounds)

Family members of non British EEA nationals

Spouses of BRITISH nationals apply on national rules in the UK and must apply for a visa.

According to the EU Directive 38/2004 (Art. 10) family members of non British EEA nationals who are in possession of a British "Residence Card of a family member of an EEA national" or "Permanent Residence Card" DO NOT need a visa for visits up to 90 days in the Schengen area if you are joining or travelling with the EU national
See example of sticker 
Please note: Spouses of BRITISH nationals apply on national rules in the UK and must apply for a visa.
British Residence Card EEA 130 KB 


To improve the service available to those applying for a visa, the embassy cooperates with VFS. You present your application in person to VFS, and they can also provide you with information and other kinds of service. When the decision has come through, after about 10 days, you collect your passport and your visa at VFS
VFS charges a fee of £24 per application (over and above the visa fee) for their services and visa applications can be submitted in London or Edinburgh.
Check the VFS website for the application centre’s address and opening hours and for other practical information.

The Swedish embassy can also receive a very limited number of applicants. You need to make an appointment in writing with a copy of your passport, UK residence permit and a self addressed stamped envelope. A decision on your application will be available after about 10 days.
Holders of diplomatic or service passports may submit an application without prior appointment.
You cannot apply for a visa in London if you hold a British tourist visa. You must apply in your country of residence.

Avoid other people selling services

Please note that the embassy only cooperates with VFS.