Residence Permit Based on Family or Personal Connection

This applies to individuals who are married, cohabiting, or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is a Swedish citizen or permanent Swedish resident. It also applies to unmarried children under 18.

The application can be submitted to the Embassy in Canberra or to any of the Swedish Honorary Consulates in Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.

Please note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

Please note that once your application has been submitted to the Embassy you are not allowed to enter Sweden until a decision has been made.

Please submit 2 sets of the following documents (one set original documents and one set photocopies):

  • Residence Permit Application Form (#161011) or Application for Child under 18 (#163011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

  • Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011)
  • Additional form(s) depending on if the applicant is:

     …married to or cohabiting with a Swedish citizen or resident (#T92 and #228011)

     …planning to marry or cohabit with a Swedish citizen or resident (#T91)

    …a minor wishing to take up residence with a parent who is already living in Sweden (#T93)

    …wishing to reside with a close relative (reference person) with whom he/she has previously shared a household and has a relationship of dependence which makes it very difficult to live apart (#T84)

  • National passport or other travel document (for both applicant and Swedish citizen/permanent resident).

  • Civic registration certificate entitled ‘Familjebevis för uppehållstillstånd’ (family status for a residence permit) which states the referee’s registered address, marital status, children, etc and must not be older than three months. This can be requested by the Swedish Citizen/permanent resident from the Tax Agency Skatteverket via email (

  • If married, your marriage certificate. Your marriage must be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). A letter and copy of your marriage certificate should be submitted to the local tax office in Sweden where your spouse was most recently registered.

  • If cohabiting but not married, copies of shared lease, utility bills and / or bank statements.

  • If divorced, copies of your divorce decree. If the applicant is a child under 18 with divorced parents, copies of the divorce decree plus notarized consent for the child to move to Sweden from both biological parents or court documents showing sole custody of the child(ren) must be submitted.

  • Brief personal letter stating (1) when you are planning to move, (2) whether you already have a place to live, and (3) whether you already have an offer of employment.

  • Application fee, in the form of cash, money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

How much does it cost?

A non-refundable application fee of SEK 1500 for adults over 18 years or SEK 750 for children under 18. This fee is recalculated every month in accordance with the fluctuation of exchange rates. Please contact the Embassy of Sweden for the current fee in AUD.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa section
5 Turrana Street
Yarralumla ACT 2600

or to any of the Swedish Honorary Consulates in Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.

Due to the number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service that enables you to track packages.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Biometric Information Requried

Since May 2011, residence permits are issued via residence permit card. The card is proof of your residence permit. When you enter Sweden, you must therefore show your card along with a valid passport.

In order for the Migration Agency to be able to issue a residence permit card, you must submit biometric information (photo, fingerprints and signature) at the Embassy of Sweden in Canberra. The biometric information can be submitted while lodging your application or at a later time, for example, when you receive your residence permit decision. Please note: if you have been granted a residence permit decision and have submitted biometric information, it may take up to 4 weeks for your residence permit card to arrive at the Embassy in Canberra.

If you are an Australian or a New Zealand citizen, it may be possible to submit your biometric information after you enter Sweden at a Migration Agency Permit Unit Office. Please see the following link for more details: 

> Biometric information

How long does it take?

Variable waiting times, please contact the Embassy for more information.

Processing your application

After your documents have been examined by a consular officer, you may be invited for an interview.

Your Swedish family member / relation will be interviewed in Sweden. If your Swedish family member or relation resides in Australia, New Zealand or Pacific Islands you may be interviewed together.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency.