Getting married in Sweden

A wedding in Sweden may take place either in a church or before a civil authority

Marriage in a church

If the parties wish to get married in a church before a vicar, they should contact the vicar well in advance to make the necessary arrangements. If the wedding is to take place in the Church of Sweden, one of the parties must be a member of this denomination or of a closely related denomination abroad.

See for contact details to the parishes of the Church of Sweden.

Marriage before a civil authority in Stockholm

In Stockholm, a marriage can take place either at the Stockholm District Court or at the City Hall. Rerservations should be made at least two weeks in advance at

the Stockholm Tingsrätt (Stockholm District Court)
Vigselavdelningen (Marriage Bureau)
Box 8307
S-104 20 Stockholm.

Tel: +46-8-657 5000 (website only in Swedish)

Marriage before a civil authority in other districts than Stockholm

In these cases inquiries should be directed to the District Court where the ceremony is to take place.

Certificate of No Impediment for Swedish citizens living in Australia or New Zealand wishing to get married in Sweden

To be able to marry in Sweden there should be no impediment to your marriage according to Swedish law.

A Certificate of No Impediment can be ordered from the Taxation Agency (Skatteverket). When the wedding has taken place, the registrar (vigselförrättare) informs the Taxation Agency (Skatteverket).

Impediment to your marriage applies if:

you have not reached the age of 18
you are already married
you are too close a relative to the person you intend to marry

The Certificate of No Impediment (Hindersprövning) is issued by the Taxation Agency (Skatteverket) and is valid for 4 months from the date of issue.

The Swedish Taxation Agency can be reached on tel +46-8-764 9200 or see